How Much Do You Have to Hate Someone Not to Proselytize?

Francis Schaeffer on the Origins of Relativism in the Church

One of My Favorite Songs

An Inspiring Song

Labels

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce

Not so long ago, I finished perusing Peace, Love, and Barbecue by Mike Mills. It's an entertaining book. I certainly don't regret the time spent reading it, but I don't think I'll be buying a copy. It's largely Mike Mills' recollections and discussions with some of the country's best pitmasters, and as entertaining as it was, I just don't see myself making use of it multiple times. Oh, there are recipes. Not an enormous amount, but enough to get your attention. But I've got so many books full of recipes already that I don't think I'll have tried them all before I die.

But there is one recipe that I'm keepin' out of that book. It's Big Bob Gibson's recipe for the white barbecue sauce they use on their chickens. Apparently, Big Bob gave the recipe out to whoever asked, so I guess it ain't copyrighted. Here 'tis, if you're interested, quoted from the book:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Place in an airtight container or bottle and refrigerate until you're ready to use. Keeps up to 4 days.
I had to alter it a bit. I have a family member that definitely can't handle the black pepper, and I have serious doubts about that individual being able to handle the smidgeon of cayenne. Instead, I tossed in a bit of garlic powder. On water smoker chicken, the result was unbelievable, so good that I was, like, "Where have you been all my life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment