How Much Do You Have to Hate Someone Not to Proselytize?

Francis Schaeffer on the Origins of Relativism in the Church

One of My Favorite Songs

An Inspiring Song

Labels

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Suddenly Feeling Very Old Indeed

One might get the impression from my occasional mentions of go that I play the game quite often. It would be more correct to say that I have ambitions of playing it quite often. What I would like to do eventually is show up every other Thursday night at the OSU Chess/Tulsa Go Club, which meets not five minutes away from my house (and judging from what I have read, I doubt very seriously they'll be terribly concerned that I'm not a student), and I hope to worm my way through a couple of books on the subject by years' end so that I don't look entirely execrable. However, right now, the reality is that I have looked at a few online tutorials and played perhaps thirty games against the computer, using the little 9x9 board that comes with the Igowin freeware (link in the sidebar). It's a fascinating game that I anticipate playing for many years, I hope. Hopefully, that and a little chess will help me stave off old-age dementia.

Last night, the eight-year-old said, How about, after the three-year-old goes to bed, you and I play some chess?"

And I said, "Oh, I don't know, why don't I teach you to play go instead?

"I already know how to play go."

"You do? When did you learn? I didn't teach you."

"Yes, you did, a few months ago."

"Really? I don't remember doing that."

"Well, you did, and we played a game."

"I really don't remember doing that."

"Well, you're old and I'm young, and I just remember some things better."

"Hmmmmph. Little whippersnapper. We'll just see about that," I thought to myself, and I dug out the little 9x9 board that I made, and the beans that I use as stones.

I gave the little punk a three-stone advantage, thinking he'd need it.

He CRUSHED me.

Now, I feel really old. An' that li'l varmint for darn sure ain't gettin' no handicap next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment