How Much Do You Have to Hate Someone Not to Proselytize?

Francis Schaeffer on the Origins of Relativism in the Church

One of My Favorite Songs

An Inspiring Song

Labels

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Trip to Hominy, Oklahoma

Okay, time for a brief break from all the Liberal Fascism stuff. More of that shortly, but today...

It's been a couple of weeks, but I was in Hominy to make a delivery/installation and had a few minutes to snap some pictures. I love rural Oklahoma. Clicking on the photos should yield larger versions, if you're interested.

This is a distant shot of what is actually a series of murals. There are murals of this sort of Indian art all over Hominy. I couldn't possible take pictures of all of it, unfortunately. Just not enough time in the ol' lunch break.

Here are the murals in the series, a little closer up and one-by-one.








This, obviously, is the police station. It is actually part of the same building that houses the fire department.

A fairly distant shot of the old building that houses the fire department and police department.

This is near the top front of that building. I couldn't help but think that this emblem made it clear that the facility must have once served a military purpose. The overall look of the place certainly had "military reserve" written all over it, at least to my eyes...

Remembering a suggestion that had been made about elements of a previous photo-post on rural Oklahoma, I looked 'round the building for something to tell me when the place was built. As I expected, it formerly had some military function; it didn't just have the look of it, it practically reeked of it. There are such buildings all over the state.

I wonder, those of you who haven't served in the Reserves or the National Guard, if you can quite picture the scene. This building went up in 1936 for the military. It is in the countryside now; back then, it might as well have been on the moon. These days, it is not uncommon for a reservist to drive three or more hours to get to his unit. When I was in the Marine Corps Reserve, we had people that drove two or three hours to get to our unit. Back then, I'm sure there weren't as many people driving long distances. The people supplied by this armory were probably all pretty local, and I'm fairly sure that they didn't think of themselves as being in training for foreign wars. They were there to protect their homeland, their families, their farms, their way of life. At least, I see that as being the likely state of affairs. That's the proper function of a military, anyway.

Personally, I like a military that is composed, in large part, of reservists. They're ready for action quicker than you might think and are very cost-effective. And it's better than belonging to the Moose Lodge any day.

This is one side of a Presbyterian church, the appearance of which I really liked. Presbyterians are cool. It's long been said that the best Baptist preachers read Presbyterian commentaries. If it weren't for that paedobaptism thing...

Another shot of the same church. I wonder if there are a lot of Indians/Native Americans in this church. You'd be surprised how many Native Americans in Oklahoma are Presbyterians...

The same church from another angle. You can see the architectural elements that caught my eye better in this one. I just loved those steps leading up to the door.

The same church, from the front. Imagine going up those steps on Sunday mornings...

And here're the doors. Nice doors. I loved this building...

This house is apparently some sort of historical site; it's called "The Drummond House," but they weren't open for tours at the time and I haven't looked it up. The place looks to be over a hundred years old, at least just by looking. Rather a cool-looking house. I love old stuff.

A church celebrating its hundredth year? Now, that is something.

This is just an old house. Only God knows how long it's been there. It just struck me as having been well-treated and well-preserved, old but still good-looking and homey.

I didn't have time to stop and ask what these evil-looking machines were. I suspect they have something to do with road construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment