How Much Do You Have to Hate Someone Not to Proselytize?

Francis Schaeffer on the Origins of Relativism in the Church

One of My Favorite Songs

An Inspiring Song

Labels

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Favorite Goldwater Quotes

Lately, I have often found myself wishing that we had another Barry Goldwater on hand. A few favorite quotes:
Now those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth, and let me remind you they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyranny.

***

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

***

And here we encounter the seeds of government disaster and collapse -- the kind that wrecked ancient Rome and every other civilization that allowed a sociopolitical monster called the welfare state to exist.
And my absolute favorite, one that I wish I could get tattooed somewhere on my body, one that outlines, in brief, the ideas that I would run on, were I ever to run for office:
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution ... or have failed their purpose ... or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should be attacked for neglecting my constituents' 'interests,' I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty, and in that cause I am doing the very best I can.
What happened to people who think like this? I mean, in the Republican Party? I know what happened to them in the Democratic Party; Roosevelt drove a stake through their hearts. But how did the Republican Party get to the point where the chief worry many of us have is that we will, yet again, end up opposing the Democrats with what is, essentially, Democrat Lite?

No comments:

Post a Comment