How Much Do You Have to Hate Someone Not to Proselytize?

Francis Schaeffer on the Origins of Relativism in the Church

One of My Favorite Songs

An Inspiring Song

Labels

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mr. Buchanan, As Per Usual, Speaking My Mind


I should note at the outset that there actually are areas where I do not entirely agree with Pat Buchanan. In the column to which I'm linking, reference is made to a few of those. In general, you can tell where I'm going to disagree with Mr. Buchanan by remembering that I think he does not quite get Islam's true hegemonistic ambitions.
Mr. Buchanan puts some of my concerns so well in this column that I'm just going to let you have the quotes without adding further commentary.
This party is not ready to rule.

Consider. In its grand strategy to recapture a Senate that George W. Bush and Rove lost in 2006, the GOP Senate leadership endorsed all its own caucus members for re-election, if they chose to run, then picked out all its favorite candidates for the open and Democratic seats.

Conservatives and tea party activists, however, had other ideas. They began to pick their own candidates. And, again and again, the Senate’s chosen were rejected in favor of tea party challengers who had the endorsement of Sarah Palin or South Carolina’s Jim DeMint.

[snip]

To the Republican establishment, tea party people are field hands. Their labors are to be recognized and rewarded, but they are to stay off the porch and not presume to sit at the master’s table.

And what O’Donnell did, with her amazing victory, is to imperil that establishment’s return to power. That is why these Republicans went ballistic.

O’Donnell’s conservative convictions and Castle’s social liberalism mean nothing to them. They are about power and all that goes with it.

And that raises a question too long put off.

What is the Republican establishment going to do, what are the neoconservatives going to do, if returned to power?
Well, okay, one comment: I agree with Mr. Buchanan that the Republican Party is not really ready for power, but you have to keep in mind that I think the Democrats are even less to be trusted with power. As per usual, politically speaking, I am being given the choice between bad and worse, and as the Republicans are merely bad, they're gonna get my vote.

But dadgummit, if people think we're gonna fix the problem just by returning the Republicans to power, they're sadly mistaken. It's gonna take years of slogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment